The stunning Silver Saab 900 Turbo was actually James Bond 007`s car of preference in 3 of the John Gardner 007 books from the 80s.
Beginning with License Renewed (1981) that was printed to fantastic critical recognition. Inside the book the vehicle is silver in colour, though it may be often black or red on many of the book covers. The car received the handle the “Silver Beast” from the follow-up Gardner book, For Special Services (1982) and was featured a lot more in Ice-breaker (1983).
The Silver Saab is James Bond‘s private property, and was never supplied by Q-Branch. Bond himself has got the Saab custom-made to his taste by the security and counter-surveillance professionals, Communication Control Systems, Limited. (CCS), which is now known as Security Intelligence Technology Team. The corporation do in fact exist, and recommended to writer John Gardner tips about possible cool gadgets to be used.
James Bond Saab 900 Turbo 3-door version is totally packed with these features:
- Water cooled turbo engine producing a top speed of well over 170 MPH
- Modified fuel system perfect for operating on petroleum or gasohol
- Halon 12 flame extinguishing process and fire-proofing
- Digital Head-Up Screen
- Remote text message process by way of phone hook-up to land line
- Mobile cellular phone
- Four exterior tear gas tubes
- A filtration system to neutralise lethal gas getting into the cars cabin
- Oxygen face masks beneath the seats in the CO2 operated compartment
- Several concealed pockets in dash panel that contain TH70 Nitefinder glasses (for driving a car with no headlights), grenades, 1 illegal Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum revolver and another Browning automated hand gun
- Fully armour coated body
- Bullet-proof glass all round
- Steel strengthened ramming bumpers front and back
- Heavy duty Dunlop Denovos tyres, self-sealing despite becoming struck by bullets
- Black natural leather upholstery Side firearm port
- Remote starting from a distance
- Rotating number plates
- Air Conditioning
- Cruise Control
- Two halogen fog lights
- A totally built-in audio system
- Aircraft front lights concealed behind front number plate
In 1982 Saab created for James Bond an exclusive truly unique 900 Turbo with all the gizmos just as referred to in the novel License Renewed. This Saab 900 incorporated an exclusively created turbo charged powerplant with water injection, raising the power to a massive 240 BHP from 2000cc and the vehicle was launched from 0 – 60 Miles per hour in under 7 seconds. After Saab went belly up in 2011, the vehicle was placed on public auction in January 2012 and was included in a large public sale of the many vehicles from the Saab museum. I wonder if James Bond was a bidder!